As we celebrate the beauty of our planet, it’s also important to be conscious of the beauty products we use on a daily basis. Seriously have you ever noticed the toxic harmful chemicals we rub into our faces, lips, hair on a daily? It’s time to say hi to beauty products that use ingredients from nature instead of those that damage it (and our bodies). And because we all want to look pretty in pink while minimizing our carbon footprint – like you can say otherwise now without sounding totally uncool – I’ve rounded up a few fabulous items to incorporate into your beauty regimen that are less toxic and more natural for the earth and for you!
UPTOWN SOAP CO.: Handmade in, of course, New York City these adorable soaps and lotions are packaged in recycled glass and come in unique scents like salted caramel, lychee currant, black honey and more. I was sold at handmade and then again at caramel.
SPARITUAL: Something about a vegan lip gloss?
SCOTCH NATURALS NAIL POLISH: Paint your nails without the chemicals/alcohol (no pun, but pun, completely and totally attended!) This water-based nail polish line offers bright shades in the similar non-toxic, vegan formula as above. Bonus: the gorgeous bottle is made of lead-free, recycled Italian glass. Who doesn’t like Italians?
THE HONEST COMPANY: Ever since Jessica Alba became all “mom” on us she established this organic product line, and let’s be honest, we are going to buy it just because it’s Jessica Alba and available in yummy flavors like sweet orange vanilla and lavender mint.
BOND NUMBER 9: This green Bond No. 9 perfume is an Earth Day special and when purchased, you’ll be supporting something other than smelling like a mixture of wood, trees, fruits and amber. A portion of the proceeds from sales of the I Love New York perfume will help the state of New York clean up parks and support preservations. Fuzzy Feeling and Smelling!
Today is Earth Day and that gives 7 billion of us humans exactly ONE full day of the entire year to SAVE THE PLANET. Sounds doable. New York is one of the most environmentally conscious big cities with its massive transit system where everybody gets lost at least once in their entire life, public charging areas, greenhouse emissions and tree planting programs. Hey, no one is saying anything about electricity. You keep doing you, Times Square. Shine on.
But the Big (Green) Apple isn’t the only one trying to get some cred from Mother Nature
- UCLA is the first college to go tobacco-free and help people breathe well. I really never knew campuses weren’t tobacco free? But, ok. Nice try
- Scope is wondering who else plants flowers in empty mouthwash bottles like them. So, only two people? Heard of recycling bro? Nice try
- A message from NASCAR aka the brand that screws Earth over the most: “While the rest of the world officially celebrates Earth Day on Monday, NASCAR prefers to operate as if every day is Earth Day.” Oh so I must have the entire sport wrong, does NASCAR now race on bikes or something? Seriously nice try though
Make love, not carbon,
Haven’t you heard, healthy interaction is totally the new bar scene and this past weekend was all about working out and feeling strong, healthy and above all simply great. It was a weekend to live better lives and work hard for what you want. And that all started on one Saturday of one weekend. My fitness getaway kicked off with the Spartan 5K aka one of the hardest challenges I have ever completed (thank god for great friends, endurance and a stubborn personality). It was, of course, celebrated with margs and ended on Sunday with a Pop Pilates class by Cassey Ho from Blogilates (you may have heard me tweet my soreness/ feeling of death after one or two of her classes here and here) It was definitely NOT easy. And definitely much worse after a 5k. My muscles were all sorts of shaking.
Isn’t it crazy that the most intense moments can leave you feeling the best about yourself? You only need a few essentials to have your own fitness getaway:
- Cute gear = weird feeling of wanting to go work out and get pumped for push ups = magically run harder and faster = stronger. Don’t believe me? Test it. Buy new shorts or bright neon shoes and you’ll just go all ham during your next work out. This should just be an excuse to continue shoppin every day… and then working out #HelpingTheEconomy
- Protect your hair!! Healthy hair is always glam, but not when it’s greasly grossly stuckly to your neck. Tie it back, braid it, throw on a cute headband or one of those cute Goody Ouchless (and crimpless) Ribbons and afterwards please don’t forget to dry shampoo it
- The best beats on your iPod! The right song can keep you running that much longer or finish that last set of sit ups that much quicker. And occasionally busting a move makes the entire idea of working out that much less painful.
Don’t forget to pack your shoes and yoga mat this weekend,
I have imagined a list of fears, concerns and reservations while standing at any starting line… but never of this, never. As a recent re-born runner I’ve learned one thing: runners are strong, physically and mentally. We won’t let this ruin our sport. We’re going to run, not run away. Today has been a day of great tragedy and terror, but also a day of heroism and hope. To the all the ‘common’ citizens who reacted in uncommon and heroic fashion to assist the injured without regard for your own safety, thank you.
Thoughts, prayers and will wishes for everyone in Boston,