Have you ever been in the position where you were offered a job and were definitely interested but also wanted to wait to see if other opportunities played out? I’m currently interviewing and I just don’t know how to navigate the situation if it arises. On the one hand I don’t want to lose out on something, but I also want to weigh all my options. Any thoughts?
Yup, welcome to my life only about two years ago. Feel like I stepped into a time machine on this one… And let’s start with the facts: By no means is this an easy situation to be in whatsoever. Having to sit on an offer is like looking in the face of financial stability and having a stare off. Like WHY?
However, it’s all about being really honest and transparent with both parties. For the company you are waiting to hear from it’s an easy obstacle. I told the hiring manager after the first interview that I really wanted to see where this pans out, and as much as I see myself fitting in and growing here, I had another offer on the table that I needed to respond to by X date. That was it. Now they know and if they want me, it becomes a shared deadline to work with.
Now being upfront with the company that has already offered you a position is much harder. How do you tell someone: This is great and perfect, everything I am looking for, but I’m not fully sure just yet? Nobody wants to be second option. Not your friends, your family and definitely not your boss. But asking for an appropriate amount of time to be able to review your compensation package is a fair ask no matter the situation. I know this now… the less smart version of me may or may not have dodged a couple phone calls from HR.
So ok if you’re in a situation like this I say don’t do that and can I recommend the BUY TIME strategy:
1) Say thank you and share your excitement for the offer! Tell them that it’s a lot of great information and would love to take a couple days to review everything and get back within 3-4 days
2) After that, if you still need more time, it’s the perfect opportunity to negotiate the terms whether thats XYZ $$ or additional days off or whatever you feel can be better because something can always be better REGARDLESS of the situation, know your market value. That should buy you like another week.
3) Lastly, know if they come back and give you exactly what you are looking for, just be honest and tell them you are waiting to hear back from one more place before making any final decisions and hope they can give you another couple days.
After that I 1000% truly believe you should give a final and firm answer. So during the entire three step Buy Time process, make sure you think long and hard of all the what ifs and determine what matters most to you. Sometimes you will have to begrudgingly pass up on a few while waiting for the right one. Something like that works with boys too, I hear?
At the end of the day, just remember that this is a good problem to have…